Do you use React.js for your Web apps? Read this article to build iOS and Android apps using React Native.Learn More
Ionic is a UI framework, built on top of Angular, that allows development of high-performance, cross-platform native iOS, Android, Electron applications as well as mobile-ready progressive web applications (PWA) using a single codebase.
Cazton’s expert team is comprised of Google Developer Experts (award) in Angular,
former Google Angular team developers and world-class frontend experts specializing in
At Cazton, we help Fortune 500, large and mid-size companies with Ionic development, consulting, recruiting services and hands-on training services. We have top designers and cognitive scientists that help create world class user experience.
The mobile app industry is booming with exponential growth in smartphone users and app downloads. By 2027, smartphone subscriptions worldwide are expected to reach 6 million while mobile apps are projected to generate over $935 billion in revenue by 2023. The Google Play Store alone offers over 3.55 million apps with the Apple App Store not far behind. With such fierce competition, it's critical for organizations to deliver unique features quickly and efficiently.
Traditionally, developers had to write separate code for iOS and Android requiring separate teams and significant resources to maintain multiple codebases. But now, with Ionic, developers can build cross-platform apps with a single codebase, saving time and effort while improving app quality and consistency. Ionic leverages the power of Angular to create complex and feature-rich apps with a native-like user interface. With Ionic, organizations can deliver top-notch mobile apps to a wider audience regardless of the user's device or platform.
What is Ionic?
Ionic's pre-built UI components make it easy to create beautiful and functional apps without the need to spend time on custom UI elements. And with the powerful tools and plugins provided by Ionic, developers can easily add new features to their apps, like push notifications and social media integration.
But perhaps the most exciting feature of Ionic is its ability to create Progressive Web Apps (PWAs). PWAs run in a web browser and can be used on any device, making it easier to reach a wider audience. And with Ionic, developers can build a PWA and then convert it to a native app for iOS and Android, allowing users to access the app on any platform.
So if you want to create high-performance mobile apps that work across platforms, Ionic is the framework for you. Its flexibility, pre-built components, and powerful tools make it the perfect choice for developers of all levels.
Features of Ionic
- Enhanced speed of delivery: Web developers need not worry about learning new skills like Swift, Java or Kotlin. With its familiar development environment, pre-built UI components, and access to native device features, we can build high-quality applications quickly and efficiently. Since the same code can be used on the browser and mobile apps, it promotes reusability of code, reducing regression testing effort, improves automation, speeds-up delivery and reduces the overall cost drastically.
- Enterprise standards: Imagine a standardized enterprise-wide strategy where we use the same look and feel across the board for the web and mobile applications. Since Ionic allows us to use standard web development technologies even on native mobile applications, this helps us create enterprise standards. It's quite normal to see multiple different code bases. We have helped companies that acquire multiple companies to standardized their UI, API and backend technologies. Prior to us helping them, in many cases, they used to make changes in multiple code bases and repeat a similar deployment process in each of those cases. However, with good enterprise standards, a change needs to happen only once. This is a huge saving on time, cost and effort.
- Cross-platform: With Ionic, we can build cross-platform applications that work on iOS, Android, and the web. This eliminates the need to develop separate applications for each platform, saving us time and money.
- Progressive Web App support: Ionic allows developers to create Progressive Web App (PWA) which are web apps that can be used on a variety of devices, including smartphones, tablets, and desktop computers. PWAs, effectively, make a web application perform as fast as a native application. The major benefits are: cross-platform compatibility, offline capability, low data usage, no need to install or update the app, discoverability and shareability through URLs, increased engagement and conversion rates, fast loading speed, improved security with HTTPS, easy to maintain and update, cost-effective development and maintenance. For more information read PWA.
- Security: It offers powerful, multi-layered frontend security to protect users from data loss and unauthorized access, including advanced solutions for enabling biometrics security, secure single sign-on, and encrypted storage on-device.
- Plugins support: It offers a set of rich libraries that lets us seamlessly integrate third party services such as analytics, barcode scanning, maps, payments and more.
- Access to native device features: Ionic uses Apache Cordova / Capacitor to access native device features, such as the camera, GPS, and accelerometer, from within the app. This allows web developers to build applications that take advantage of the unique features of mobile and desktop devices.
- Customizable themes and components: Ionic allows developers to customize the look and feel of their app by creating their own custom themes. Along with adaptive styling features, it also offers more than 100+ mobile-ready UI components, animations, and gestures.
- Live Reload: Ionic comes with a feature called live reload, which allows developers to see the changes they make to their app in real-time without the need to manually refresh the app.
- Accessibility: Ionic is built with accessibility in mind, making it easy to build apps that are accessible to users with disabilities.
Ionic vs React Native
Ionic and React Native are both popular frameworks for building mobile applications. Here's a comparison of some of their key differences:
- Speed of development: Ionic is a clear winner when it comes to speed of development. With existing web development skills, it’s easy to reuse existing web components throughout the enterprise.
- Performance: React Native provides an abstraction through React to enforce direct control over native app controls. This clearly makes it relatively faster than Ionic which primarily uses standard web technology for cross-platform development. However, since the introduction of PWA, native-app like performance is not just possible, but easily doable with minimal effort. So, the gap has reduced significantly.
- User Interface: React Native is better for building complex user interfaces that are more native-like. On the other hand, Ionic is better for building simpler UIs that are more web-like.
- Cross-platform compatibility: Both frameworks allow developers to build applications for both Android and iOS. However, Ionic also supports web, desktop, and progressive web applications, making it more versatile.
- Community and Ecosystem: React Native has a larger and more active community and ecosystem, with a wider range of third-party libraries and tools.
In summary, if you want to build a simple app that works across different platforms, Ionic is a great option. If you want to build a more complex app with a more native-like look and feel, then React Native might be a better choice.
Ionic and DevOps
Enterprises often overlook the benefits of DevOps, but the rewards are significant. While implementing an effective DevOps strategy may require some investment of time and effort, it ultimately boosts team velocity and allows them to deliver applications and modules more quickly than ever before. This, in turn, facilitates early feedback, enabling team members to make better-informed decisions. At Cazton, we not only help clients comprehend the advantages of DevOps, but we also assist them in implementing it correctly. Our focus is on ensuring that DevOps becomes an integral part of the client team's DNA. Although adopting DevOps requires a significant cultural shift for conventional software development organizations, the results are remarkable. While any significant improvement involves a transitionary period that may make people uncomfortable, the long-term benefits are more than worth it.
How Cazton can help you with Ionic?
At Cazton, we help Fortune 500, large and mid-size companies with Ionic development, consulting, recruiting services and hands-on training services. Our team includes Microsoft Regional Directors, Microsoft awarded Most Valuable Professionals, Azure Insiders, Docker Insiders, ASP.NET Insiders, Web API Advisors, Azure Cosmos DB Insiders as well as experts in other Microsoft and notable open-source technologies. We have significant experience in Ionic and related technologies, and our expertise can enhance your project’s performance and improve its efficiency. We believe in customizing each solution to tailor to the exact needs of the client. We can provide you the following services:
- Top User Experience: Design, architect and develop applications with desirable user experience.
- Full life-cycle development: Custom Ionic software development, deployment and automation with cloud support.
- Consulting and mentoring on Ionic projects with any of the major UI or backend frameworks and technologies.
- Migration: Migrate to the later or the latest version of Ionic, Angular, React and/or other web application frameworks.
- Performance optimization.
- Best practices: Design, development, DevOps, architectural and security best practices.
- Deployment: Deploy Ionic apps to iOS and Android along with API/microservices deployment to cloud, multi-cloud, hybrid cloud.
- Continuous Integration and Delivery: Build CI/CD pipeline and automate your deployment process.
- Microservices: Build fully automated microservices using Docker, Kubernetes and Terraform.
- Code reviews: Expert led code reviews for improved productivity and reduced tech debt.
- Training: Full customized Ionic training.
Custom development, consulting and training services for Web, mobile, desktop and hybrid applications, gRPC, APIs, SignalR, front-end and back-end solutions, big data, machine learning and artificial intelligence. We support the entire Ionic ecosystem including Angular, React and other web development frameworks. We work on a wide array of technologies including:
Web & API Development:
Progressive Web Apps,
Big Data & AI:
Hadoop & HDFS,
Azure Cosmos DB,
Cloud & DevOps:
Amazon Web Services,
Google Cloud Platform,
Kubernetes & Terraform.
- Smartphone subscriptions worldwide 2027 | Statista
- Global: mobile app revenue by segment 2017-2025 | Statista
- Biggest app stores in the world 2022 | Statista
Cazton is composed of technical professionals with expertise gained all over the world and in all fields of the tech industry and we put this expertise to work for you. We serve all industries, including banking, finance, legal services, life sciences & healthcare, technology, media, and the public sector. Check out some of our services:
Cazton has expanded into a global company, servicing clients not only across the United States, but in Oslo, Norway; Stockholm, Sweden; London, England; Berlin, Germany; Frankfurt, Germany; Paris, France; Amsterdam, Netherlands; Brussels, Belgium; Rome, Italy; Sydney, Melbourne, Australia; Quebec City, Toronto Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, and Winnipeg as well. In the United States, we provide our consulting and training services across various cities like Austin, Dallas, Houston, New York, New Jersey, Irvine, Los Angeles, Denver, Boulder, Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Stamford and others. Contact us today to learn more about what our experts can do for you.